Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Risk pt 2

On Monday I talked about some risks that are important to take while being a part of student ministry.

One thing that I don't think we talk about enough is how to take a step out into the unknown.

One year I went to a camp, and I decided I would go down a zipline.  So I waited in line for my turn, and I was pretty nervous.  Then I finally climbed up the giant wooden structure to the platform where I would take off.  I was harnessed in and ready to go.  Still somewhat regretting this decisions and mildly freaked out.  I finally got attached to the zipline and the instructor said, "Ok, now walk to the edge, stick your toes off the edge, and squat like you're sitting on a chair, on my signal you'll step off the ledge and away you'll go."  It was at that minute that I realized I had one of two options, step or don't step.

When we come up on a risk that we need to take we have one of two options, step, or don't step.  When you get closer and closer to that "step" you begin to feel nervous, butterflies fill your stomach, and your heart is pounding outside of your chest.

But when we step back in our comfort zone I think we miss the opportunity for the Holy Spirit to move.  The Holy Spirit will direct us if we step out into the danger zone.  That is where Jesus' promise comes into play that he will be with us to the very end of the age.

In the song "Give me Faith" there is a line that says, "Give me faith, to trust what you say, that you're good, and your love is great." That line says it all where we know we can trust the Holy Spirit.  Another incredibly line in the song goes, "I may be weak, your spirit's strong in me, my flesh may fail, my God you never will." And those lines capture the whole essence of taking risks.  We know that we can't do it on our own, but we have to trust that God's spirit has our best in mind.

Take a listen to this song, one of my all time favorites, and as you listen to the words, think about a risk God may be asking you to take this week!

Happy Fourth!


No comments:

Post a Comment