Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Be Simple


If you want to check out my last three posts, check them out here, I wrote on Evangelism, Community, and Equipping.

I’m not a baby sitter. If you want a good baby sitter talk to my sister she’s been babysitting since she was in 4th grade (pretty trusting parents I know!).  But me, I make babies cry when I pick them up.  The exception to the rule is the baby in my twitter picture.  Don’t let his little deceptive smile fool you, he’ll get crying, and get crying good.  Especially when he’s hungry!  Fortunately for me, I didn’t get a degree in babysitting.  I got one in ministry.

Ministry does not equal babysitting.

The sad thing is I see numbers of student ministry pastors who are not being intentional in their ministry.  The whole idea is to run a program on a Wednesday night while the parents have a Bible study.  Or meet on Sunday morning before church starts because that’s when everyone meets
.
In essence, we are providing a babysitting service while parents learn, and they hope their kids have some Bible soak into them.  And I didn’t get a degree in babysitting, I got a degree in ministry!
How can we avoid being a babysitting service for parents?

I think we must be intentional and simple in our process.  A couple of really good ministry books that helped me define what I am doing with my ministry is “Simple Church” by Thom Rainer and Eric Geiger.
This book talks to the importance of being focused and simple, on a path to a predetermined goal. Setting a goal will help you reach it by the programs and ministry format that you set up.

Another book that knocked me in the head in my communication style was Andy Stanley’s book, “Communicating for a Change.”

The overarching message in these two books scolded the church and pastors with their preparation style, and if you are honest in your reading, you most likely fell into the American church’s trap that these books talked about. Church, has at times over complicated things, which make understanding of the word, and the vision tough to see.  You may have a vision statement, but so often we do so many different things during the week, we lose track of it.

The simple process I set up was impact, establish, equip (relating to my previous 3 blog posts). It works.  It’s intentional. It’s purposeful. It’s not babysitting.

What do you think? Have you read either of these books before? Could your ministry process use a higher dosage of simplification? Or are you pretty simple and focused where you are? I want to hear from you…

1 comment:

  1. Really insightful! I totally agree that we need a lot less "babysitting" and a lot more teaching of the Word of God in our student ministries, even in the younger groups. I really enjoyed reading your post!
    - Amanda

    ReplyDelete